Thiruvalluvar's Couplets on 'Smiting Glances of the Belle'
1081. Is this jewelled maid human, a goddess or a peahen rare?
My mind is bewildered!
1082. She dashed a glance to his rash looks
as a brave goddess rushing with a force.
1083. Devil so far I knew not; it is clear now.
He hurts with big, warring eyes in a maid’s guise.
1084. It is hostile to her feminine grace
to have life feasting eyes on those who watch!
1085. Is her sight the dart of death, eyes or a hind’s shy glance?
All the three her sight has!
1086. If her unbent brows veiled her looks,
shafts of light wouldn’t hurt my heart!
1087. The cloth that veils the firm breast of the maid
likens the one covering the eyes of a rutting elephant.
1088. My might that awed my foes in the fight
got shattered by her shining brow.
1089. No need of jewels if she is decked with
coyness and the meek mien of a hind.
1090. Liquor delights if it is drunk
but love entrances by mere looks.
rajendran muthiah's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Thiruvalluvar's Couplets on 'Smiting Glances of the Belle' by rajendran muthiah )
- Ludio ludius Lego, michael walkerjohn
- Right to exist, hasmukh amathalal
- Dead Leaves, David Lacey
- Brookstones, Cee Bea
- there it is, Bill Cantrell
- Broken Mirrors Haiku, David Lacey
- In the Deserts of Exile, Jabra Ibrahim Jabra
- True Poetry Is Like A Rose, Denis Martindale
- Lovely butterflies Fly by, See I, Harindhar Reddy
- Believe and trust, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
Andrew Barton Paterson
(17 February 1864 – 5 February 1941)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)