Thiruvalluvar's Couplets on 'Smiting Glances of the Belle'
1081. Is this jewelled maid human, a goddess or a peahen rare?
My mind is bewildered!
1082. She dashed a glance to his rash looks
as a brave goddess rushing with a force.
1083. Devil so far I knew not; it is clear now.
He hurts with big, warring eyes in a maid’s guise.
1084. It is hostile to her feminine grace
to have life feasting eyes on those who watch!
1085. Is her sight the dart of death, eyes or a hind’s shy glance?
All the three her sight has!
1086. If her unbent brows veiled her looks,
shafts of light wouldn’t hurt my heart!
1087. The cloth that veils the firm breast of the maid
likens the one covering the eyes of a rutting elephant.
1088. My might that awed my foes in the fight
got shattered by her shining brow.
1089. No need of jewels if she is decked with
coyness and the meek mien of a hind.
1090. Liquor delights if it is drunk
but love entrances by mere looks.
rajendran muthiah's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Thiruvalluvar's Couplets on 'Smiting Glances of the Belle' by rajendran muthiah )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Missing An Award Ceremony, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Weeping Under The Rain, Tony Adah
- EVEN More Cosmic Than That~~~, Monk E. Biz
- No Place Nation, Xavier Cole
- Dream Another Dream, Xavier Cole
- CITY OF LOVE 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- Polyamory, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- HEARTBREAK 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- Multiple children, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- If I Had a Voice, Lee Gelis