Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan
The Suryanelli Girl
the house where she lived as a little girl
has become a star tourist attraction now.
Taxi drivers slow down, routinely
at the dusty approach road, bluntly
pointing it out, triumphantly -
Ah, that is the house
the must-see house
of the Suryanelli girl!
A picnic to Munnar is never complete
unless on the return trip
you see that house
the little pink house
of the Suryanelli girl.
Nobody has ever seen that girl
ever since the day she burst upon
like an atom bomb on news channels,
bleeding thighs, torn skirt and all -
still a secret satisfaction lurks there
in having seen that little pink house
of the Suryanelli girl.
She is not there on Facebook or Twitter
if you wish, you can….Google her name –
ah, not her name, for she has no name –
you may Google…. her little village
there you will see, in smart collage
the many activists, many ministers
who promised the whole world to her -
you get to know just about everything
about her, but except her
photograph, her given name:
the world knows her, yet knows not her
hidden face, her hidden name.
Her village has no other claim to fame
except this shame
which etched it into the World Atlas
from which she herself has vanished, of course
without a trace -
nameless, faceless, sunless
Surya-nelli in Malayalam means 'a place where there is no sun'. Suryanelli is a little village among hilly forests near Munnar in Kerala (India) . It is said, due to the dense woods, the village used to receive little sun light even during day time.
(The poem was short-listed for the AIPC-2013 National Poetry Competition)
Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
(1) Poem is based on the extensive media reports on the infamous Suryanelli Rape Case, with alleged involvement of scores of powerful politicians, including Ministers and Member of Parliament Mr P J Kurien.
(2) Suryanelli is a small resort village near the world famous hill station Munnar in Kerala
Comments about this poem (The Suryanelli Girl by Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan )
- Moon's Rebellion, Kewayne Wadley
- African Funeral, onzia dan
- Scavenger, Morakinyo Temiloluwa Bolarinwa
- Letter To My Rose (Part F), Christian Tobechukwu Okafor
- you and that love thing..., Mandolyn ...
- Hint, hasmukh amathalal
- Our Green Hope, Christian Tobechukwu Okafor
- - On the Longfellow bridge, Giorgio A. V.
- the dishwasher sounds like it's off its .., Mandolyn ...
- The Piano Player, Stacy L. Mar
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns