The Space Coast
An Airedale rolling through green frost,
cabbage palms pointing their accusing leaves
at whom, petulant waves breaking at my feet.
I ran from them. Nights, yellow lights
scoured sand. What was ever found
but women in skirts folded around the men
they loved that Friday? No one found me.
And how could that have been, here, where
even botanical names were recorded
and small roads mapped in red?
Night, the sky is black paper pecked with pinholes.
Tortoises push eggs into warm sand.
Was it too late to have come here?
Everything's discovered. Everything's spoken for.
The air smells of salt. My lover's body.
Perhaps it is too late. I want to run
the beach's length, because it never ends.
The barren beach. Airedales grow
fins on their hard heads, drowned surfers
resurface, and those little girls
who would not be called back to safety are found.
Deborah Ager's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Space Coast by Deborah Ager )
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Anecdote of the Jar, Wallace Stevens
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Richard Cory, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Pain, Pain Knows No Race, Hebert Logerie
- God's Hands Of Love, Tom Zart
- Alone, Samantha Gronn
- David, Casey Renee Kiser
- She Stuck Her Butt Out At Me..., wanderer sailor
- Nine Views of the Huangshan, Paul Hartal
- Trying to Say Goodbye, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Autumn, Leong Ming Loong
- Colors, Tom Squires
- वक्त का तकाजा है vakt ka takaaja hai, hasmukh amathalal