Mikhail Alekseevich Kuzmin
The Sense Of Your Bidding
The sense of your bidding is unclear:
to pray, to curse, is it, to fight
you bid me, inscrutable genius?
The spring slackens, niggard, meager,
and Benozzo Gozzoli's courier
dozes in the drowsy thickets.
Hills are dark with honeyed cloud.
Look: I do not touch lithe strings.
Your gaze, prophetically flying,
is clenched, gushes no winged streams,
and beckons by no May road, trying
to outstrip Hermes in his flight.
Hobbled horses do not neigh,
Aging warriors sprawl in disarray...
Hold your palms open wide!
Risen spring is bright,
but groves of darkness are not given
to leap for joy having leapt from dreams.
The groom names not the hour,
be not guiled to tarry,
hark through ice the clarion voice,
your flax is drenched with chrism,
and, bidding goodbye to numb laze,
free, in love, you will rise.
Mikhail Alekseevich Kuzmin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Sense Of Your Bidding by Mikhail Alekseevich Kuzmin )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Poem of the Day
- Those Moments Of Weakness لحظات الضعف هذه, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Money (Cedi), Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- Off the Rez, Smoky Hoss
- As an emigrant كمهاجر, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Two Little Boats, Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- The Golden Swan, Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- As a passer-bye, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Love is Blue, Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- Song of Yuletide Night, Sir Toby Moses
- Another Jungle Pool, Denis Martindale