Mikhail Alekseevich Kuzmin
The Sense Of Your Bidding
The sense of your bidding is unclear:
to pray, to curse, is it, to fight
you bid me, inscrutable genius?
The spring slackens, niggard, meager,
and Benozzo Gozzoli's courier
dozes in the drowsy thickets.
Hills are dark with honeyed cloud.
Look: I do not touch lithe strings.
Your gaze, prophetically flying,
is clenched, gushes no winged streams,
and beckons by no May road, trying
to outstrip Hermes in his flight.
Hobbled horses do not neigh,
Aging warriors sprawl in disarray...
Hold your palms open wide!
Risen spring is bright,
but groves of darkness are not given
to leap for joy having leapt from dreams.
The groom names not the hour,
be not guiled to tarry,
hark through ice the clarion voice,
your flax is drenched with chrism,
and, bidding goodbye to numb laze,
free, in love, you will rise.
Mikhail Alekseevich Kuzmin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Sense Of Your Bidding by Mikhail Alekseevich Kuzmin )
- I Dry My Tears, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Valley of an autumn's night, Raluca Mitra
- The stars that touch a rose is the star.., Raymond Sawyer
- *Halloween Stroll, Alice Vedral Rivera
- चाँद रात में सैर, Rajnish Manga
- Oil In White Robe, Okoemu Barnabas
- I Could Have Loved You, Sandra Feldman
- I Don't Feel Like A Poet Today, Buxton Shippy
- A weirdo, Amgad Samy
- an act, Billie Lynn Minear
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Unity is Strength, S.D. TIWARI
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Wait, Galway Kinnell
(1 February 1927)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)