Mikhail Alekseevich Kuzmin
The Sense Of Your Bidding
The sense of your bidding is unclear:
to pray, to curse, is it, to fight
you bid me, inscrutable genius?
The spring slackens, niggard, meager,
and Benozzo Gozzoli's courier
dozes in the drowsy thickets.
Hills are dark with honeyed cloud.
Look: I do not touch lithe strings.
Your gaze, prophetically flying,
is clenched, gushes no winged streams,
and beckons by no May road, trying
to outstrip Hermes in his flight.
Hobbled horses do not neigh,
Aging warriors sprawl in disarray...
Hold your palms open wide!
Risen spring is bright,
but groves of darkness are not given
to leap for joy having leapt from dreams.
The groom names not the hour,
be not guiled to tarry,
hark through ice the clarion voice,
your flax is drenched with chrism,
and, bidding goodbye to numb laze,
free, in love, you will rise.
Mikhail Alekseevich Kuzmin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Sense Of Your Bidding by Mikhail Alekseevich Kuzmin )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- With A Rakhi To Tie The Small Behana Wai.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Persimmon Poem, Kyle Schlicher
- The read., Meena Somasundaram
- Time is Time, Juliet Languedoc
- The Garbage Is Collected On Thursday, Kyle Schlicher
- Are The Girls For To Be Sold & Bought?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- I Was Thirteen, Kyle Schlicher
- A strong strife!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- I.H.Rizvi As A Romantic Indian English P.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Life In A Beer Commercial, Kyle Schlicher