The Poet's Spirit
I'm writing a poem to my love this day,
Does he know how I struggle and toil,
Searching for words that will touch his heart,
And when reading them, might he recoil?
What can I say that will light the flame,
And ensure that it keeps burning bright;
I want my words to be like the jewels
The thief hungers for in the night
My weary head falls upon the desk
As I search for the elusive words;
Grasping in vain at dark empty air,
Surrendering in defeat afterwards
Then a glow in the distant horizon,
Swiftly advancing, catches my eyes;
It's too calm for the dreaded lightning,
Too early for morning's sunrise
There's a voice in the wind speaking to me:
'Words will come, and they'll flow like a river;
Steadily, strongly and deeply they'll come,
'Til the message has been delivered;
For this is the duty of the poet,
Specially chosen from God's own choir;
Uniquely expressing love's longing and hope,
And all the facets of man's desire'
I say to the spectre 'Please, do not go,
I need your strength here with me; '
To my plea, it responds: 'Of course, I'll stay,
I'll stay forever - for I am thee! '
O, it's the spirit of the poet's mind!
I've been rescued, my efforts blessed;
The light has come to these silent halls,
Wisdom garnered from my shadowy guest
I'll write a poem like he's never seen,
And when I'm done I'll take a bow;
The flame will be lit, his heart shall be mine,
The poet's spirit lives in me now!
Lora Colon's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Poet's Spirit by Lora Colon )
Did you read them?
- SOFT POCKET HERCULES, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- You cannot go, gajanan mishra
- Rebecca, Claudia Scott
- DREAM TIME, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- ABOUT NOTHING, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- Humpty Dumpty, michael hagwood
- ELEGY FOR THE LIVING, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- guardian angel, Miss. Tanease Berry
- Queen of Hearts, Tania Montgomery
- hick-eww, Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)