The garden king
In grandpa’s garden everything grows
with love that overflows.
There are flowers in various assortments,
they grow higher than I have ever seen
and butterflies and bees are everywhere.
This is a garden where fairies may hide.
it bounds you, it bewitches you,
it makes you believe
that you do see gnomes and fairies
dancing around the toad stools.
His vegetables grow so big
that they must have been the ones
that was used in the fairy tales.
These are the kind of pumpkins
that was transformed into Cinderella’s coach
and I have seen a few mousses eating on tomatoes
and grandpa said that he does not care,
as he has got enough to share.
His spinach will make you as strong as Popeye
and he plants a few chillies just for the bite.
The birds do love grandpa’s garden
as he do always put some extra tomatoes out for them
and if you look you will find
grandpa helping the gnomes to keep the garden clean
and that is why the birds and the bees,
the flowers and the trees,
the gnomes and the fairies
and the bugs and everything
that lives in his garden,
even the mice,
have crowned my grandfather
the garden king.
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The garden king by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
- ما كان ذنبي, قسطاكي الحمصي
- حديث النفس, قسطاكي الحمصي
- A fox in Leeds with unusual needs., Stephen Katona
- Concepts 27, Somanathan Iyer
- More Time, Babatunde Aremu
- The Daughter of the Earth - 30, gajanan mishra
- Last Farewell, Mark Nixon Legaspi
- Travel China Haiku - Chengdu spices, john tiong chunghoo
- Travel China Haiku - - A wealthy China, john tiong chunghoo
- Autumnal, Lawrence Beck
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(November 9 - 1937)