A sudden glimmer catches my eye,
As I, Confused and distraught,
Walk closer to this shining light I noticed something.
It was a rather large diamond.
Very rare, Very valuable.
And it was right there in front of me.
I decided that I must be dreaming,
For I could not believe that this was real.
Day after day I walk past this diamond.
And day after day it continues to shine.
One day, I decided to retrieve this precious stone,
But when I tried to pick it up it could not be moved,
The stone was much bigger than it first appeared!
I had to grab a spade to dig this beautiful stone out.
Getting this stone to my home was impossible,
My largest horses could not budge the stone.
I decided that I must protect this stone.
This precious, beautiful, rare stone.
So I built a shack,
Not very strong or sturdy,
But it will do for now.
I knew that this stone was extremely valuable,
But I did not know exactly how valuable.
I met with the local gem salesman,
And asked him what he thought.
He said that he had never seen anything like it.
It was probably the largest gem in the world.
He told me to hold on to this one,
for there are very few stones this precious.
So I kept the stone.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Diamond by Ruben Hair )
- The Sadness Of This World, Edward Kofi Louis
- I Could Be Out In The Rain, Vigna Mukund
- Equations: Friend Or Enemy, Guess Who
- Waiting for Dawn, Somanathan Iyer
- Confidence, Somanathan Iyer
- Doodling Without Purpose, Margaret Alice Second
- Nine persons are exempted from the disci.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Why like this?, Somanathan Iyer
- Humans we are!, Somanathan Iyer
- Summer, Naveed Khalid