A sudden glimmer catches my eye,
As I, Confused and distraught,
Walk closer to this shining light I noticed something.
It was a rather large diamond.
Very rare, Very valuable.
And it was right there in front of me.
I decided that I must be dreaming,
For I could not believe that this was real.
Day after day I walk past this diamond.
And day after day it continues to shine.
One day, I decided to retrieve this precious stone,
But when I tried to pick it up it could not be moved,
The stone was much bigger than it first appeared!
I had to grab a spade to dig this beautiful stone out.
Getting this stone to my home was impossible,
My largest horses could not budge the stone.
I decided that I must protect this stone.
This precious, beautiful, rare stone.
So I built a shack,
Not very strong or sturdy,
But it will do for now.
I knew that this stone was extremely valuable,
But I did not know exactly how valuable.
I met with the local gem salesman,
And asked him what he thought.
He said that he had never seen anything like it.
It was probably the largest gem in the world.
He told me to hold on to this one,
for there are very few stones this precious.
So I kept the stone.
Ruben Hair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Diamond by Ruben Hair )
- food walk, lee fones
- The Now., RAJ VIKRAM
- The technique of survival., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- A Gift Logic Can't Buy, Donal Mahoney
- Rain-A Mirror, RAJ VIKRAM
- My Hero, Electric Lady
- A Drive, Kai Wendland
- a heart full of love..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Poppy Flower, Zubair Ali
- Remembrance., RAJ VIKRAM
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)