Nursing my secret longings
I lie awake in the wee hours of the night
Mind restless, like a caged bird craving redemption
My thoughts journeying through time and space
I recognize a thousand appetites
Still waiting to be appeased!
Sadly there isn’t time enough
To realize what I really crave.
It is in the stillness of the night
When sleep deserts the eyes
That mind derails its track
And wanders like an aimless vagabond
Though rooted firmly on the ground
At times, I feel, I lose my bearings
How I longed to paint my sky
In garish colours and shades!
I wonder if the scales of my life’s balance
Lean more to gains or losses now!
There was a time when hope ruled the roost
And I heard love’s soft whispers all around!
Now I am unable to precisely tell
What my mind craves and pines
But this much I know for certain
I am becoming worn and old
Years have so quickly skipped past me
With youth and beauty sapped away
Leaving life an exhausted well
With the dregs remaining at the bottom
My eyesight has waned, the youthful lustre gone
My once supple knees have started to creak
And the muscles, begun to sag
I feel as vulnerable as a foetus in the womb
Pain grows with years
As a smudge deepens into an erasable stain
Alas! I am no wizard to call back all that left
But listen to the *‘long, melancholy, withdrawing roar’
No more springing steps
And a fast fading cortex
Still I stretch myself
To catch at Hope, winging away!
Valsa George's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
* a phrase from Matthew Arnold's poem Dover Beach- -
Comments about this poem (Sunset by Valsa George )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Did you read them?
- You're Making This Too Easy, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I need you., Tyler Anhorn
- Cosmic soul., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- What's up, dude..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Automatic Weaponry...And Kids….Ain't Chi.., James B. Earley
- I'll pray you never run away, Mark Heathcote
- See and please come, gajanan mishra
- The Wind, Sara Militello
- Death.. My Ultimate Inspiration, Ruma Chaudhuri
- Further Trivializing Their Quick To Get .., Lawrence S. Pertillar