We found ourselves on a vessel. Unless
some inner-ear ailment skewed our balance
(to equal extent, all five of us leant)
the sea itself lay aslant. A canted
planet perhaps? The sea was dynamic
in a bouncy way. Autonomous waves
moved in inscrutable ways. Some loitered.
The sea's skin was opalescent, opaque
and wobbly; more ‘set' than ‘wet'. "Colloidal, "
said Troy, toying with his kumbaloi. "I
guess a multitude of moons must conduct
the tidal flux." Several contrary
breezes fluttered with a buttery touch.
Oozy clouds sagged like warm Camembert and
Myra said, "Reminds me of the prairie
dogs, the waves I mean, I think they're tracks. Life;
things tunnelling, finding food and smooching."
The sea smouldered with a marcasite light.
I dipped my toe in (to the dispute not
the sea) . "Subsonic thunder or music? "
The theory earned me a dismissive glance
but I fancied that their ears were straining.
Why else would a cohesive surface dance
if not inaudibly resonating?
It rained. Our skins wore an oily raiment.
A wind juddered. We all shuddered. "Alive, "
said Clive. "Fools, can't you see we've been swallowed.
We're sailing in a stomach full of bile.
We must row, row, row back up the dog's throat."
Clive was always a bit of a sod, so
we ignored him and sulked. Then Cuthbert said,
"I've got a great idea for a prank." He
climbed (up) . "Come down, " we cried, "you'll break your neck."
Out on a yard he demo'd his ‘planking'.
We cheered; took his picture; ‘twas top-ranking!
Diane Hine's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Stance by Diane Hine )
Did you read them?
- Rising For Another Day, Michael McParland
- The head, gajanan mishra
- Tobacco use, hasmukh amathalal
- Mystery of love, Chiazo Egbukwu
- Complete homes, hasmukh amathalal
- Landfill, Phil Soar
- W-a-t-c-h! Fury online movie free full s.., afandi azhaa
- Inadequacy (Depression), Avuyile 'Avue' Maseko
- Sonnet: To My Doctor Boss, Dr John Celes
- Awakening, Dipankar Sadhukhan
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(22 March 1941 -)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)