Some people are not having manners,
this I am always observing,
For example other day I find
I am needing soap
For ordinary washing myself purposes.
So I'm going to one small shop
nearby in my lane and I'm asking
for well-known brand soap.
That shopman he's giving me soap
but I'm finding it defective version.
So I'm saying very politely — -
though in Hindi I'm saying it,
and my Hindi is not so good as my English,
Please to excuse me
but this is defective version of well-known brand soap.
That shopman is saying
and very rudely he is saying it,
What is wrong with soap?
Still I am keeping my temper
and repeating very smilingly
Please to note this defect in soap,
and still he is denying the truth.
So I'm getting very angry that time
and with loud voice I am saying
YOU ARE BLIND OR WHAT?
Now he is shouting
YOU ARE CALLING ME BLIND OR WHAT?
Come outside and I will show you
Then I am shouting
What you will show me
Which I haven't got already?
It is vulgar thing to say
but I am saying it.
Now small crowd is collecting
and shopman is much bigger than me,
and I am not caring so much
for small defect in well-known brand soap.
So I'm saying
Alright OK Alright OK
this time I will take
but not next time.
Nissim Ezekiel's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Soap by Nissim Ezekiel )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Did you read them?
- The Love Of Birds, Lora Colon
- Let Her Know How You Feel About Her, Ronell Warren Alman
- Dreams, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Expression Eruption: An artillery call, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Biochemistry II, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- farm this, Mandolyn ...
- A Chat By Brothers, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Smith of Words, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Past IT' is, george albot
- WILD FLOWERS ARE PRETTY FLOWERS ANYTIME, MOHAMMAD SKATI