Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok
She hailed from a very distant country,
Nocturnal child of ancient times;
She had no kin to greet her entry
Not even skies with a welcome shine.
And just the Neva’s faithful sentry -
The sphinx with an indented face -
Under the blizzard, fierce and wintry
‘s reminiscent of her birthplace.
And when the tempest showers snowflakes
Upon her shoulders, hair, and breast,
Nocturnal Egypt wakes her heartache
In the midst of northern fog and mist.
My hometown, gray and distant,
Its wind and chill, and gloom and rain,
With faith -- so unexplained and fervent --
She had received as her domain.
She fell in love with regal buildings,
At rest in the stillness of the night.
And peaceful cozy light in the windows
Became one with her inner sight.
She recognized its morning frown,
Its mansions, lights, and snowy twirl.
This whole unfathomable town,
She knew, unfathomable girl.
Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Snow Maiden by Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok )
- Time Chases Me, Neela Nath
- Elimination, Hans Raj Sharma
- We have come thru..., bill costley
- The elements of loss, nick feiner
- Lives short lived, nick feiner
- Waiting to bloom, nick feiner
- Woman Or Mermaid?, Marcondes Pereira
- Gliding through life, nick feiner
- Angels and Demons, nick feiner
- Love is, hasmukh amathalal