Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok
She hailed from a very distant country,
Nocturnal child of ancient times;
She had no kin to greet her entry
Not even skies with a welcome shine.
And just the Neva’s faithful sentry -
The sphinx with an indented face -
Under the blizzard, fierce and wintry
‘s reminiscent of her birthplace.
And when the tempest showers snowflakes
Upon her shoulders, hair, and breast,
Nocturnal Egypt wakes her heartache
In the midst of northern fog and mist.
My hometown, gray and distant,
Its wind and chill, and gloom and rain,
With faith -- so unexplained and fervent --
She had received as her domain.
She fell in love with regal buildings,
At rest in the stillness of the night.
And peaceful cozy light in the windows
Became one with her inner sight.
She recognized its morning frown,
Its mansions, lights, and snowy twirl.
This whole unfathomable town,
She knew, unfathomable girl.
Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Snow Maiden by Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok )
(12 May 1812 – 29 January 1888)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1644 - 1694)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(12 May 1828 – 9 April 1882)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Beyond, Fabrizio Frosini
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- My One True Love, Leong Ming Loong
- For they were lovers each-other, Pijush Biswas
- Textology - 2. Exclamations, Joseph Archer
- Si boru puas si boru Bakkara, molu dung .., Mapung Madura
- I Wore The Fox, Naveed Akram
- Clearing the void, Phil's Writings
- The Treacherous Bride, Asaolu Abayomi
- Them, Tanja Henderson
- It is time for me to go home, Leong Ming Loong
- Forsaken For Your Sake, Asma Riaz Khan