Smoking Behind the Gym
She wasn't really my friend, you see;
she just stirred a curiosity in me
for things alien to my propriety.
I watched the way she swayed her hips,
and envied the color thick on her lips,
and laughed at all her funny quips.
Behind the gym she'd go to smoke;
skipping classes for a toke
shared with some big biker bloke.
I saw her from the east wing door
pull up the mini skirt she wore;
the biker said, now show me more.
That big bloke turned his head around
when she threw her butt upon the ground,
and made a little moaning sound.
I learned a lot of things in school,
and I guess I thought that I was cool,
but I never broke a single rule.
My world today is smooth and fair,
with people to love and people to care,
but I still miss things I would not dare.
I saw a note that the girl had died;
she wasn't my friend, still I cried,
for the things she did I never tried.
Shirley Alexander's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Smoking Behind the Gym by Shirley Alexander )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Leprosy eradication., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Beyond The Dotted Lines, Asma Riaz Khan
- if I die young, Juwon Daniel
- Story of snow., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- She Wanted, Spiritwind Wood
- When love was born, Lehlohonolo Selai
- There is a Configuration of the Universe, michael walkerjohn
- R e D *) I c E... (r), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- A childhood lamentation, Juwon Daniel
- ` The Quiets..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR