Smoking Behind the Gym
She wasn't really my friend, you see;
she just stirred a curiosity in me
for things alien to my propriety.
I watched the way she swayed her hips,
and envied the color thick on her lips,
and laughed at all her funny quips.
Behind the gym she'd go to smoke;
skipping classes for a toke
shared with some big biker bloke.
I saw her from the east wing door
pull up the mini skirt she wore;
the biker said, now show me more.
That big bloke turned his head around
when she threw her butt upon the ground,
and made a little moaning sound.
I learned a lot of things in school,
and I guess I thought that I was cool,
but I never broke a single rule.
My world today is smooth and fair,
with people to love and people to care,
but I still miss things I would not dare.
I saw a note that the girl had died;
she wasn't my friend, still I cried,
for the things she did I never tried.
Shirley Alexander's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Smoking Behind the Gym by Shirley Alexander )
- Happy Halloween, Natarajan Ramaseshan
- I Saw You, But Could Not Say I Love You .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Honour Killing, Whose Honour, Where's Ho.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Seminar Activity, Bijay Kant Dubey
- A Story of a thousand Hopes, clawdea benat
- gLoW hideing OfF iN2 thE sUnsEt, sEaN nOrTh
- Absence, Ibrahim Nasrallah
- Funeral, Ibrahim Nasrallah
- I am complete in your arms.., Manish Guru
- She, Akhtar Jawad
Poem of the Day
- November, Thomas Hood
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Would Live In Your Love, Sara Teasdale
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Merry Autumn, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Am Offering This Poem, Jimmy Santiago Baca
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(5 January 1935 - 14 February 1967)