Diana van den Berg
I had recently asked you
for a sign
that you hear me
talking to you
and in reply,
you sent me
the fifth dream
and I knew.
But your love and understanding
goes way beyond the extra mile
and that wasn’t enough for you
and so you sent me
the next miracle dream.
This time, because you couldn’t
give me a real horse
to bond with
you gave me a dream-horse instead.
The horse was also a bay,
this time with a blaze.
He was a thoroughbred,
but instead of being head-shy,
he held his head still,
in fact, he bowed it
so I could reach him better,
and he let me pat and kiss
and hug him
and explain about you
and whisper sweet somethings
- whispers to animals are never
It was as though
he was being very benignly tolerant
and affectionately understanding of my loss.
My miracle angel-horse,
you are my love and my strength.
Diana van den Berg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sixth Dream by Diana van den Berg )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- (1) The Ceaseless Waves of Sorrow, Uriah Hamilton
- An Ode to a Toad Named Frank, Susan Sparks
- The Path, Deepak Hariharan
- A Hymn to God, Dr John Celes
- The Facebook Poem, Alan W. Jankowski
- The Jerk At Work, Alan W. Jankowski
- When Friends Betray Friends, Alan W. Jankowski
- My Love Did Sometimes Wander, Alan W. Jankowski
- No Help At All, Alan W. Jankowski
- The Bird, the Cat, the Monster and I…., Poetheart (back)