When I was a young boy the knickerbocker glory
had with it a long spoon to scoop the residue.
and later with bacon and cabbage and mashed potato,
in Dublin, or on St. Patrick's Day, and color of carrot,
I held tight the knife and fork,
with Sheffield on its side.
And later growing up at parties and dinners that name
was there too on the side. And then
having searched theology and philosophy I looked
for residue with a longer spoon and sought Freud and Lacan.
From Dublin Port, to Liverpool and then to Sheffield.
Western Bank, Red Brick, Firth Court, Octagon, Royal Hallasham, down Glossop Road. Place names of memory and residue.
Now I see the parchment
'having fulfilled the requirement prescribed by Ordinances and after
due examination was admitted to the degree of Master of Arts in Psychoanalytic Studies'.
With Sheffield on the mast.
Bernard Kennedy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sheffield Steele by Bernard Kennedy )
- cliché, xxx xxx
- The Author To His Disconsolate Brother, Richard Brathwait
- God Visible In His Works, William Alexander
- An Invocation, William Alexander
- Aan Elegie On Dr. Ravis, Bishop of London, Richard Corbet
- Complaining Of His Want Of Friends, Edward Hake
- No Gold No Goodnesse, Edward Hake
- Priyo keu nei, Golam Rashid
- Surprise form, hasmukh amathalal
- The Jackalope Man Migrates, Bruce Larkin
Poem of the Day
- Unity is Strength, S.D. TIWARI
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Jabberwocky, Lewis Carroll
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1927)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns