Shadows In The Grass
Three cheetah cubs were left behind
With parents somewhere else,
So every noise that they would find
Would send off warning bells!
Their teeny-weeny whiskers felt
Each changing breeze pass by,
If something moved, their hearts would melt,
With tensions running high...
The scaredy-cats might look serene
To those not in the know,
So none of these would intervene,
They'd merely watch then go...
The cheetah cubs were full of love,
So gentle and so mild,
But these alone won't be enough
When others are so wild...
For now, like shadows in the grass,
Perhaps they would be safe,
As patience let all dangers pass,
Just silent as the grave...
Must parents gamble everything?
Leave cubs to chance or fate?
This really left me wondering,
Just how their parents rate...
Denis Martindale, copyright, March 2014.
The poem is based on the magnificent painting by
Stephen Gayford, nb Google search gayfordgallery.
Find more wildlife poems using Google search
for the search phrase Stephen Gayford poetry.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Shadows In The Grass by Denis Martindale )
- Love Above, Arno Le Roux
- The Business Of Life, Arno Le Roux
- Adaptation, maria sudibyo
- ব্যস্ততার অবসান, Yakub Ali
- Long Drought, maria sudibyo
- Rain Season Isn't Yet, maria sudibyo
- Paper Assignment, maria sudibyo
- 'RAMDAS KESAVADAS', the fraud, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- A Prayer, Holly Moon
- Benevolent Heart, Holly Moon
Poem of the Day
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)