Sarah Byng, Who Could Not Read And Was Tossed Into A Thorny Hedge By A Bull
Some years ago you heard me sing
My doubts on Alexander Byng.
His sister Sarah now inspires
My jaded Muse, my failing fires.
Of Sarah Byng the tale is told
How when the child was twelve years old
She could not read or write a line.
Her sister Jane, though barely nine,
Could spout the Catechism through
And parts of Matthew Arnold too,
While little Bill who came between
Was quite unnaturally keen
On 'Athalie', by Jean Racine.
But not so Sarah! Not so Sal!
She was a most uncultured girl
Who didn't care a pinch of snuff
For any literary stuff
And gave the classics all a miss.
Observe the consequence of this!
As she was walking home one day,
Upon the fields across her way
A gate, securely padlocked, stood,
And by its side a piece of wood
On which was painted plain and full,
BEWARE THE VERY FURIOUS BULL
Alas! The young illiterate
Went blindly forward to her fate,
And ignorantly climbed the gate!
Now happily the Bull that day
Was rather in the mood for play
Than goring people through and through
As Bulls so very often do;
He tossed her lightly with his horns
Into a prickly hedge of thorns,
And stood by laughing while she strode
And pushed and struggled to the road.
The lesson was not lost upon
The child, who since has always gone
A long way round to keep away
From signs, whatever they may say,
And leaves a padlocked gate alone.
Moreover she has wisely grown
Confirmed in her instinctive guess
That literature breeds distress.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sarah Byng, Who Could Not Read And Was Tossed Into A Thorny Hedge By A Bull by Hilaire Belloc )
- 표항(표항) ANMA℡０１０↘２１７８↘９５０５↘표항 MASSAJE, masajejjaanngg lee
- 표항 MASSAJE⊙０１０◈４８３１◈３２１１⊙표항 ANMA, masajejjaanngg lee
- 표항(표항) ANMA◑０１０◑４８３１◐３２１１◐표항 MASSAJE, masajejjaanngg lee
- 표항 ANMA¿０１０¿５９３３¿０４３７¿표항 ANMA, masajejjaanngg lee
- 표항 ANMA MASSAJE 010 ５９４６ ０３７７표항(표항) ANMA, masajejjaanngg lee
- 보항(보항) ANMA》０１０ ４８６７ ７５８２《보항(보항) ANMA, masajejjaanngg lee
- 울산 ANMA (ANMA) ☏０１０♭４８６７♭７５８２●울산 MASSAJE, masajejjaanngg lee
- I've Decided, Orlando Belo
- 울산(울산) ANMA℡０１０↘２１７８↘９５０５↘울산 MASSAJE, masajejjaanngg lee
- 울산 MASSAJE⊙０１０◈４８３１◈３２１１⊙울산 ANMA, masajejjaanngg lee
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Farewell Love and All Thy Laws Forever, Sir Thomas Wyatt
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Where The Mind Is Without Fear, Rabindranath Tagore
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)