Edgar Albert Guest
When God first viewed the rose He'd made
He smiled, and thought it passing fair;
Upon the bloom His hands He laid,
And gently blessed each petal there.
He summoned in His artists then
And bade them paint, as ne'er before,
Each petal, so that earthly men
Might love the rose for evermore.
With Heavenly brushes they began
And one with red limned every leaf,
To signify the love of man;
The first rose, white, betokened grief;
'My rose shall deck the bride,' one said
And so in pink he dipped his brush,
'And it shall smile beside the dead
To typify the faded blush.'
And then they came unto His throne
And laid the roses at His feet,
The crimson bud, the bloom full blown,
Filling the air with fragrance sweet.
'Well done, well done!' the Master spake;
'Henceforth the rose shall bloom on earth:
One fairer blossom I will make,'
And then a little babe had birth.
On earth a loving mother lay
Within a rose-decked room and smiled,
But from the blossoms turned away
To gently kiss her little child,
And then she murmured soft and low,
'For beauty, here, a mother seeks.
None but the Master made, I know,
The roses in a baby's cheeks.'
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Roses by Edgar Albert Guest )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Algernon Charles Swinburne
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 February 1970-)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Candadi Kelidara Vistara, Shishunala Sharif
- Anubhava Gitegalu, Shishunala Sharif
Poem of the Day
- Your Paradise Is Met, Naveed Akram
- Who Needs Rains In Heaven?, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Prevention is better than cure, Leong Ming Loong
- Twittering Among Feelings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Living Passion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Love Magic, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Life Stretching, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Electric Love, Suresh Dogra
- Capturing An Awareness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Letting Imagination Run, RoseAnn V. Shawiak