RIC S. BASTASA
Real work is plowing the fields
clearing grass, tilling land,
growing corn, raising chickens,
grazing cows, pasturing carabaos,
fetching water, repairing roofs,
sowing seeds, fishing in the
river, killing birds,
past time is drinking tuba,
killing dogs, eating snakes
dancing in the barrio halls,
smoking tobacco, womanizing,
boxing, shooting, hunting,
scheming gains, expanding
i did not like it. I carve my own
path of stones and pebbles.
took up law, write a lot,
compose poems, write short
stories, exposing our wrong
traditions, the limited views
of decadent ancestry.
i hate what we did. But just the
same he made me what i am.
I visit his grave. Light candles
for him. Less the flowers which
he never liked ever since he had
seen the first light.
RIC S. BASTASA's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (REMEMBERING PAPA by RIC S. BASTASA )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- Doomed, Kyle Schlicher
- Memory Without Remorse, Kyle Schlicher
- Question Answered, Kyle Schlicher
- Spearmint Leaves, Saiom Shriver
- THIS LIFE IS UP-SIDE-DOWN هذه الحياة متك.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Islands of Flowers, Marilyn Lott
- Home-makers, Dr Deena Padayachee
- I APOLOGIZE FOR YOU, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- On your toe, shubham sutar
- I don't know what to think of it, shubham sutar