Pyramids and Sarcophagi
Why did they spend so much time there
in the anteroom of death?
What could they prepare?
Paper possessions as light as breath
were too heavy for their dead to bear
away from the fire.
Why did they keep their eyes
on pyramid, tomb and funeral pyre?
Even the wise.
Why did they go
into the shadow
at the nothing there?
built with all the patience of eternity.
Can we not wake
from all these dreams of our identity?
You’ll not find
time between breath and breath
to hold them safe
within your mind
Brian Taylor's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Pyramids and Sarcophagi by Brian Taylor )
- If They Could Talk, Oh!, Luis Estable
- I DO NOT HAVE ANY WORD ليس عندي اية كلمة, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Beaufort Docks, Kyle Schlicher
- Get Back To Those Books, Ronell Warren Alman
- Llama Looks Up, Warren Falcon
- Mad Cow Gelatin, Saiom Shriver
- My Wish One Day, But..., Luis Estable
- Now That I Love You, abigail sikwenda
- AMALFI COAST, Elia Michael
- My Lover`s Lips Are Honey, Luis Estable