Pyramids and Sarcophagi
Why did they spend so much time there
in the anteroom of death?
What could they prepare?
Paper possessions as light as breath
were too heavy for their dead to bear
away from the fire.
Why did they keep their eyes
on pyramid, tomb and funeral pyre?
Even the wise.
Why did they go
into the shadow
at the nothing there?
built with all the patience of eternity.
Can we not wake
from all these dreams of our identity?
You’ll not find
time between breath and breath
to hold them safe
within your mind
Brian Taylor's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Pyramids and Sarcophagi by Brian Taylor )
- Decree's, Cee Bea
- A letter to a soldier., Harold R Hunt Sr
- 11 Days Before Christmas, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Who Are These Killers, Harold R Hunt Sr
- When I, Harold R Hunt Sr
- That night mother had no egg, Mark Heathcote
- Under my microscope's scrutiny تحت تمحيص.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Misunderstanding of Christmas., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Nothing Wrong., Harold R Hunt Sr
- I Walk Not Alone, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)