Pyramids and Sarcophagi
Why did they spend so much time there
in the anteroom of death?
What could they prepare?
Paper possessions as light as breath
were too heavy for their dead to bear
away from the fire.
Why did they keep their eyes
on pyramid, tomb and funeral pyre?
Even the wise.
Why did they go
into the shadow
at the nothing there?
built with all the patience of eternity.
Can we not wake
from all these dreams of our identity?
You’ll not find
time between breath and breath
to hold them safe
within your mind
Brian Taylor's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Pyramids and Sarcophagi by Brian Taylor )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- I Know, Lyn Paul
- Those Who Know, Monk E. Biz
- peaches on the side, Mandolyn ...
- i could have made s'mores, Mandolyn ...
- Song: State of Fear, Dave SmithWhite
- there's an element in the room, Mandolyn ...
- Goodbye 2014, Michael McParland
- Holding Moments In Cupped Hands, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Beauty, Brianna Kimball
- Seminars, Mark Heathcote