Psalm CXXXVII The Babylonian Captivity
ALONG the banks where Babel's current flows
Our captive bands in deep despondence stray'd,
While Zion's fall in sad remembrance rose,
Her friends, her children mingled with the dead.
The tuneless harp, that once with joy we strung,
When praise employ'd and mirth inspir'd the lay,
In mournful silence on the willows hung;
And growing grief prolong'd the tedious day.
The barbarous tyrants, to increase the woe,
With taunting smiles a song of Zion claim;
Bid sacred praise in strains melodious flow,
While they blaspheme the great Jehovah's name.
But how, in heathen chains and lands unknown,
Shall Israel's sons a song of Zion raise?
O hapless Salem, God's terrestrial throne,
Thou land of glory, sacred mount of praise.
If e'er my memory lose thy lovely name,
If my cold heart neglect my kindred race,
Let dire destruction seize this guilty frame;
My hand shall perish and my voice shall cease.
Yet shall the Lord, who hears when Zion calls,
O'ertake her foes with terror and dismay,
His arm avenge her desolated walls,
And raise her children to eternal day.
Joel Barlow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Psalm CXXXVII The Babylonian Captivity by Joel Barlow )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(22 March 1941 -)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Michael P. McParland
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Early Learning, Denis Martindale
- Dancing The Night Away, Michael P. McParland
- Young Voices, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Why Wrtite About Love, Cheryl Joy Amarga
- Damn The Man, Michael P. McParland
- Crying, Michael P. McParland
- Crawling Into Bed, Michael P. McParland
- Contentment, Michael P. McParland
- It Happens, Kim Barney
- Confused, Michael P. McParland