Portrait Gallery: Creative License
One April Claude Monet became enraptured
With an oak, a vision begging to be captured
On canvas, bare limbs stark against the light.
Magnifique! Mon Dieu, he’d paint this right!
His brushes trimmed and paint on palette, Monet
With impressionistic fervor daubed his way
Toward greatness. Alas, it soon began to pour.
Zut! Gathering up his gear, he went indoors.
La pluie continued not one week but three.
In May Monet emerged to find his tree
Now hidden under leaves of verdant green.
Merde! he yelled, stomping his feet with spleen.
Not one to beat about the bush (or tree) ,
Monet demanded that the mayor of Giverny
At once dispatch a crew to strip each and every leaf.
Later he returned to paint a tree now wrapped in grief.
Chuck Toll's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Portrait Gallery: Creative License by Chuck Toll )
- Wish you were here (in your room), White Monkey
- The Fisherman And The Koi Fish, Kewayne Wadley
- Pinball, Anthony Di'anno
- Limerick-69, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Happy, Jessica Gabanyic
- The real geometric one...not too much math, Bull Hawking
- A sweet lie, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Let's Celebrate, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Alphabetical and controversial, Bull Hawking
- Education, Prof Niamat Ali Murtazai
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)