Poetry to find words between spaces
Art is a desperate distortion
Of the between-spaces I seek to dwell in.
Poets may chance on their location.
To define is to desecrate.
Not 'stupendous, cute or awesome',
Nor 'foul and awful';
The etiquette of words will stone me cold.
To crave the hurt of variant memory
Out of the stuff of actual events
And fashion an extravagance: that is too romantic.
The word was a mistake, because
It sought to shape the feeling.
Assign no labels to what we think we feel.
Words are blobs, of course. Cliche helps,
Sometimes it is better to have hackneyed lingo
Than pioneer a new idiom, with its
Hazard of obscurity or excessive intimacy.
I saw a Chinese painting, so sharp in outline,
I saw it avoided outline altogether.
Don't degenerate into a whimper.
The line that cuts: this, and not-this.
Don't label it or try name-calling.
The poet is his autobiography.
Ananta Madhavan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Poetry to find words between spaces by Ananta Madhavan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- Recipe To Live, Asma Riaz Khan
- How Irritating, Margaret Alice Second
- Mind Over Matter (Scream), Joseph Archer
- Jesus among Us, michael hagwood
- Winterpoesie, Johann Joseph Clahsen
- Love the Spine, V P Mahur
- Vergißmeinnicht, Johann Joseph Clahsen
- Loving Lips, V P Mahur
- Am Winterwehr, Johann Joseph Clahsen
- Christmas Midnight - Christ - Mitternacht, Johann Joseph Clahsen