Poem 1 From Pierce Penilesse
Why ist damnation to dispaire and die,
When life is my true happinesse disease?
My soule, my soule, thy safetye makes me flie
The faultie meanes, that might my paine appease.
Diuines and dying men may talke of hell,
But in my heart, her seueral tormentes dwell.
Ah worthlesse Wit, to traine me to this woe,
Deceitfull Artes that nourish Discontent:
Ill thriue the Follie that bewicht me so,
Vaine thoughts adieu, for now I will repent.
And yet my wants perswade me to proceede,
Since none takes pitie of a Scollars neede.
Forgiue me God, although I curse my birth,
And ban the aire, wherein I breath a Wretch:
Since Miserie hath daunted all my mirth,
And I am quite vndone through promise-breach.
Oh friends, no friends, that then vngently frowne,
When changing Fortune casts us headlong downe.
Without redresse complaines my carelesse verse,
And Mydas-eares relent not at my moane:
In some far Land will I my griefes reherse,
Mongst them that will be mou'd when I shall groane.
England (adieu) the Soyle that brought me foorth,
Adieu vnkinde, where skill is nothing woorth.
Thomas Nashe's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Poem 1 From Pierce Penilesse by Thomas Nashe )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- TRUTH DEVOURING, Michael P. Johnson
- Dreams Money Can Buy, Ravinder Dhaliwal
- a Fading Torment, Tim Labbe
- Love Note 12, Michael P. McParland
- Glancing Back at Never, Sarah Cohen
- A Rest, Michael P. McParland
- Spiral, Chad Brack
- A Ghost Inside, Spiritwind Wood
- Expander, Kim Barney
- I was raped, Nassy Fesharaki