Poem 1 From Pierce Penilesse
Why ist damnation to dispaire and die,
When life is my true happinesse disease?
My soule, my soule, thy safetye makes me flie
The faultie meanes, that might my paine appease.
Diuines and dying men may talke of hell,
But in my heart, her seueral tormentes dwell.
Ah worthlesse Wit, to traine me to this woe,
Deceitfull Artes that nourish Discontent:
Ill thriue the Follie that bewicht me so,
Vaine thoughts adieu, for now I will repent.
And yet my wants perswade me to proceede,
Since none takes pitie of a Scollars neede.
Forgiue me God, although I curse my birth,
And ban the aire, wherein I breath a Wretch:
Since Miserie hath daunted all my mirth,
And I am quite vndone through promise-breach.
Oh friends, no friends, that then vngently frowne,
When changing Fortune casts us headlong downe.
Without redresse complaines my carelesse verse,
And Mydas-eares relent not at my moane:
In some far Land will I my griefes reherse,
Mongst them that will be mou'd when I shall groane.
England (adieu) the Soyle that brought me foorth,
Adieu vnkinde, where skill is nothing woorth.
Thomas Nashe's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Poem 1 From Pierce Penilesse by Thomas Nashe )
- I wish I could, Gouda Moon
- SEEKING YOU.., kunjubi varghese
- NOSTALGIC MEANDERINGS...., kunjubi varghese
- Strangers, brian naugher
- INVITATION.., kunjubi varghese
- SPLENDOURS OF LOVE, kunjubi varghese
- What Is, Is What's Done, Katherine Nordhaus
- WHEN THE BELL TOLLS, kunjubi varghese
- WHY DID YOU COME THEN, kunjubi varghese
- Remembering J.K.2, RAJESH.C BOSE
Poem of the Day
- I Would Live In Your Love, Sara Teasdale
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- November, Thomas Hood
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Friendship, Kennedy Phadima
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)