The house was old it's thatched roof askew,
And pigeons did rule the loft.
Two hundred years since it was new,
Wattled and daubed next to Blackwell's croft.
Its garden still bequeaths its brightest flowers,
To adorn Saint Michaels church.
The alter wreathed with it's scented bowers,
The pews bedecked with Silver Birch.
The ancient well gives of its water clear,
To fill the Saxon bowl.
And with tilted head, a child held dear
Is wetted to save its soul.
It's apple trees still bear Russet fruit
In the season of the year.
The small round pond where swims the newt,
And frogs in courtship you hear.
At night when owls do glide on silent wing,
Black bats do sally forth.
A child's old swing swayed gently by the wind,
Cooled by snows to the north.
The old house stood in proud defiant stance,
Its windows no longer lit
By smoking lamp and fire lights merry dance
Where once the young did sit.
A future for years once held in ambiguous doubt,
As the curious came to view.
Until a young bride, excited, did in silent shout
For she foresaw its future anew.
The house now restored to its former proud glory,
Its windows curtained bright.
Podmoors Thatch now seen in pictured book story,
Dancing flames holding back the night.
Two hives in the garden are full of sweet honey,
The bees having played their part
For the bride who restored the house not with money,
But with the love she held in her heart.
Robert Harrison's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Podmores Thatch by Robert Harrison )
- And We Came to Pass, Abdulrasaq Akingbo Okanlambe
- Praising a Poet, 'me' by a Co-Poet!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- My Dog Lays at My Feet, David McLansky
- The two I trust (sonnet), Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- Owls or rats, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- Jesus, God, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- माँ का सूरज कहीं खो गया, Aftab Alam
- Brother John, Colin Ian Jeffery
- पयादे से मात, Aftab Alam
- My birthday song 2, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Television, Roald Dahl
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(23 July 1823 - 26 November 1896)
Walter de la Mare
(1873 - 1958)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)