The house was old it's thatched roof askew,
And pigeons did rule the loft.
Two hundred years since it was new,
Wattled and daubed next to Blackwell's croft.
Its garden still bequeaths its brightest flowers,
To adorn Saint Michaels church.
The alter wreathed with it's scented bowers,
The pews bedecked with Silver Birch.
The ancient well gives of its water clear,
To fill the Saxon bowl.
And with tilted head, a child held dear
Is wetted to save its soul.
It's apple trees still bear Russet fruit
In the season of the year.
The small round pond where swims the newt,
And frogs in courtship you hear.
At night when owls do glide on silent wing,
Black bats do sally forth.
A child's old swing swayed gently by the wind,
Cooled by snows to the north.
The old house stood in proud defiant stance,
Its windows no longer lit
By smoking lamp and fire lights merry dance
Where once the young did sit.
A future for years once held in ambiguous doubt,
As the curious came to view.
Until a young bride, excited, did in silent shout
For she foresaw its future anew.
The house now restored to its former proud glory,
Its windows curtained bright.
Podmoors Thatch now seen in pictured book story,
Dancing flames holding back the night.
Two hives in the garden are full of sweet honey,
The bees having played their part
For the bride who restored the house not with money,
But with the love she held in her heart.
Robert Harrison's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Podmores Thatch by Robert Harrison )
- Unknown Realms, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Act of plagiarism, Aftab Alam
- Chadjeordie, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Miss Fatma, Ali Nawroz
- Everything Goes On, Fatima Nusairat
- From Fear to Greed..., Mr. Nobody
- Abandonment's Pain, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Lingerings, Stephen Warren Williams
- Love is Heaven's Bliss, Aftab Alam
- Nobody F-in' Loves Me! : D, Mr. Nobody
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Flower, Rabindranath Tagore
- Alone, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)