Thibaut de Champagne
The other day I went wandering
Without any companion
On my palfrey, thinking
To make a song,
When I heard—I don't know how—
Near a bush
The voice of the most beautiful child
That any man has ever seen;
And she was not a child,
For she was fifteen and a half years old.
I have never seen anyone
With such a noble face.
Laughing, I rode towards her
And made this speech:
'Beautiful one, tell me,
By God, what your name is.'
But she jumped up
With her crook:
'If you come any nearer,
You'll get a blow from this.
Sir, get away from here!
I don't care for a friend such as you,
And I'd rather choose
A more handsome one called Robin!'
When I saw that she was scared
That she wouldn't look at me
Or give any other positive sign,
Then I began to think
How to make her
Fall in love with me
And change her mind.
I sat down on the ground beside her,
And the more I looked upon her bright face,
The more it fired my heart,
Which doubled my desire.
Then I took upon myself to ask her,
In the most beautiful terms,
To look at me
And give me a different expression.
She started to cry
And said thus:
'I cannot look at you;
I don't even know what you're after.'
I leant towards her, and told her:
'My beautiful one, by God, your mercy.'
She laughed and responded:
'You make folk scared.'
Then I took her up before me
And made straightaway
In the direction of a small, green wood.
Across the fields I saw
And heard calling out
Two shepherds amongst the wheat;
They came shouting
And raising a great cry.
And I accomplished nothing more than I have said.
I let her down and fled from there;
I didn't care for such folk.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Pastourelle by Thibaut de Champagne )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(20 June 1952 -)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(27 March 1926 – 25 July 1966)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Rainbow's Promise, renu kakkar
- Andhere Kaa Deepak, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- Don't Reach, Robert Ronnow
- You are all here, gajanan mishra
- Blue Wedding Bells Ring, Ken e Hall
- The Battleground, Leong Ming Loong
- An inner core, hasmukh amathalal
- Indeed I am no good so by Rasul Gamzatov, Yuri Starostin
- 1400 grams of wisdom (Merry Christmas), devon da poet
- Aspirations Inherited, Perveiz Ali
- Chimp Chomp - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- Night Sky, Paul Gerard Reed