Of English Verse
Poets may boast, as safely vain,
Their works shall with the world remain;
Both, bound together, live or die,
The verses and the prophecy.
But who can hope his lines should long
Last in a daily changing tongue?
While they are new, envy prevails;
And as that dies, our language fails.
When architects have done their part,
The matter may betray their art;
Time, if we use ill-chosen stone,
Soon brings a well-built palace down.
Poets that lasting marble seek
Must carve in Latin or in Greek;
We write in sand, our language grows,
And, like the tide, our work o'erflows.
Chaucer his sense can only boast,
The glory of his numbers lost!
Years have defaced his matchless strain,
And yet he did not sing in vain.
The beauties which adorned that age,
The shining subjects of his rage,
Hoping they should immortal prove,
Rewarded with success his love.
This was the generous poet's scope,
And all an English pen can hope,
To make the fair approve his flame,
That can so far extend their fame.
Verse, thus designed, has no ill fate
If it arrive but at the date
Of fading beauty; if it prove
But as long-lived as present love.
Edmund Waller's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Of English Verse by Edmund Waller )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(2 November 1994)
- रंजानाय फैगौ, Ronjoy Brahma
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Lost Angel Mambo, Kewayne Wadley
- Always in hurry, hasmukh amathalal
- @ DOT COM, saint cynosure ( Ken Bennigh ..
- Roswell, Michael Webb
- Period recalled, hasmukh amathalal
- The Wizard of Did!, David Lewis Paget
- I rember your words hung still in the air, Brian Kilpatrick
- Highku, Michael Webb
- Faul McCartney, Michael Webb
- Do Not Breed, Michael Webb