Of English Verse
Poets may boast, as safely vain,
Their works shall with the world remain;
Both, bound together, live or die,
The verses and the prophecy.
But who can hope his lines should long
Last in a daily changing tongue?
While they are new, envy prevails;
And as that dies, our language fails.
When architects have done their part,
The matter may betray their art;
Time, if we use ill-chosen stone,
Soon brings a well-built palace down.
Poets that lasting marble seek
Must carve in Latin or in Greek;
We write in sand, our language grows,
And, like the tide, our work o'erflows.
Chaucer his sense can only boast,
The glory of his numbers lost!
Years have defaced his matchless strain,
And yet he did not sing in vain.
The beauties which adorned that age,
The shining subjects of his rage,
Hoping they should immortal prove,
Rewarded with success his love.
This was the generous poet's scope,
And all an English pen can hope,
To make the fair approve his flame,
That can so far extend their fame.
Verse, thus designed, has no ill fate
If it arrive but at the date
Of fading beauty; if it prove
But as long-lived as present love.
Edmund Waller's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Of English Verse by Edmund Waller )
- As and when, hasmukh amathalal
- Diamond in a rough, Aftab Alam
- Pollution, Lavanya Pati
- Early union, hasmukh amathalal
- EXTRA FOR BREAKFAST, Terry Collett
- Uninvited - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- Through the down memory lane., Ruma Chaudhuri
- The Ladyton Spring, Dan Reynolds
- Bhumi, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Time Passes By..., Alvin Jenner
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(10 February 1970-)
Alan W. Jankowski
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)