Not once, no, not a day-
nor an hour.
Not even a moment passes by
when my soul's eyes do not conjure up before me
your spirit-warming presence.
I behold your beaming countenance,
simple, yet radiant like the morning sun
at dawn. I smile towards you,
but as our eyes lock longingly
your figure dissipates like the mist from air.
Alas, my heart looks upon you each moment
of each day, with such fondness.
Yet I am unable to speak forth but a single word
and then I will try to forget you
and isolate myself in solitude
Here I am, lying still with my back turned
as everything rushes around without even noticing me,
like a tiny isle protruding forth
in the midst of a swollen city.
But then, from the corner of my eye,
I catch sight of you descending
like a dove in all its simple majesty.
And you will descend upon me, and only me,
seeking warm solace.
And we will be together at last.
I will be the island, and you will be my castaway.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Not Once by Edward Owen )
- Locution, location!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Scotland: My Love Renewed, Paul Gerard Reed
- Rosalinda, Edward Kofi Louis
- Losing Your Temper, Edward Kofi Louis
- Testing Memories, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- To Watch My Steps, Edward Kofi Louis
- Must Not Withdraw, Zulfiqar Ali Bhatti
- To blow the scent of flowers of friendsh.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Badagry, Edward Kofi Louis
- drawn to the mountain, Thomas Leathandrum
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Percy Bysshe Shelley