Not once, no, not a day-
nor an hour.
Not even a moment passes by
when my soul's eyes do not conjure up before me
your spirit-warming presence.
I behold your beaming countenance,
simple, yet radiant like the morning sun
at dawn. I smile towards you,
but as our eyes lock longingly
your figure dissipates like the mist from air.
Alas, my heart looks upon you each moment
of each day, with such fondness.
Yet I am unable to speak forth but a single word
and then I will try to forget you
and isolate myself in solitude
Here I am, lying still with my back turned
as everything rushes around without even noticing me,
like a tiny isle protruding forth
in the midst of a swollen city.
But then, from the corner of my eye,
I catch sight of you descending
like a dove in all its simple majesty.
And you will descend upon me, and only me,
seeking warm solace.
And we will be together at last.
I will be the island, and you will be my castaway.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Not Once by Edward Owen )
- This ugly image, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Sweet Ilussions, Sandra Feldman
- Weighting Each Thought, Heather Burns
- Their moral decline anytime انحدارهم ال.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- A surrealistic image صورة سوريالية, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- In 80s, Nassy Fesharaki
- A Walk in the Woods, Abdul Malik Mandani
- Natural Alliance, Abdul Malik Mandani
- Stop your Sobbing (haiku), Elizabeth Padillo Olesen
- Beauty in Nature and Human Creativity, Elizabeth Padillo Olesen
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)