Noises of the Night
The types of sounds
You hear at 1: 30 am
When you should be in REM
Are amazing on our campus grounds.
Lying in bed
Facing the wall
Your ears attune to a melody
Not one man could call.
Sounds playing the music
Of the throws of young love.
A quiet creaking
Someone softly speaking
Could be mistaken for a morning dove.
But is it the sound of love-making,
Or hearts breaking?
Tantrums of the night
Outside possibly a fight
Lashings of obscenities
Speak of foreign serenity
Allow the mind to wander.
A key turned slightly more.
“Did I remember to lock our door? ”
The slight click
Of a knob turned quick.
Was there fear
Behind the tear of the girl passed by
Then there are the loud vocalizations
Maybe a person’s initiations.
Did that boy who cried out
Get hurt very easily?
The symphony of the stereo
A bunch of “heys” and “hos”
Makes you wonder where the
Off button is on that radio.
Produced on our station
Give you strengths
That go beyond
That seems endless.
The laughter of the dark
Lulls you into a sleep
Where no crash, bang, boom
Can make you hear a peep.
Madeleine Wolf's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Noises of the Night by Madeleine Wolf )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1886 - 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- 'My Christmas Prayer' (For all who have .., Linda Winchell
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Not A Fairytale, Apolynn Lagaras
- let's worship nothing, forever, Mandolyn ...
- Keep Patience and Stand, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Nothing Seems Right, Andrew Butler
- Seventeen Thoughts, A Lifetime, Kewayne Wadley
- Strangers Welcome, Kewayne Wadley
- What is truth?, Edward Clapham
- A Most Happy Holiday, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Christmas - Christmas, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Cage, Sarvesh wahie