Noises of the Night
The types of sounds
You hear at 1: 30 am
When you should be in REM
Are amazing on our campus grounds.
Lying in bed
Facing the wall
Your ears attune to a melody
Not one man could call.
Sounds playing the music
Of the throws of young love.
A quiet creaking
Someone softly speaking
Could be mistaken for a morning dove.
But is it the sound of love-making,
Or hearts breaking?
Tantrums of the night
Outside possibly a fight
Lashings of obscenities
Speak of foreign serenity
Allow the mind to wander.
A key turned slightly more.
“Did I remember to lock our door? ”
The slight click
Of a knob turned quick.
Was there fear
Behind the tear of the girl passed by
Then there are the loud vocalizations
Maybe a person’s initiations.
Did that boy who cried out
Get hurt very easily?
The symphony of the stereo
A bunch of “heys” and “hos”
Makes you wonder where the
Off button is on that radio.
Produced on our station
Give you strengths
That go beyond
That seems endless.
The laughter of the dark
Lulls you into a sleep
Where no crash, bang, boom
Can make you hear a peep.
Madeleine Wolf's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Noises of the Night by Madeleine Wolf )
- Zero Turkey Wing, Havilah
- Reading and Writing, umaprosad das
- The Afternoon, Leong Ming Loong
- Aligarh Muslim University & Raja Mahendr.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Storm Warning, ESPN CHICK
- A Kiss To Otis Redding, Electric Lady
- So Sensitive In My Heart, Rohit Sapra
- You own every part of me, Afrodita Alkline
- You (One Day I'll Forget You), ESPN CHICK
- Advice can have minus point., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(c. 600 BCE)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)