No War Memorial. Still. 'Ye Dil Mangey More' - 2
In the dark
Of India's ravaged Yoni,
Flickers a tiny flame.
In distant haze,
Victor's blue phallus,
Sniggers at the shame.
His ‘India Gate'
Has names engraved;
Each martyr acclaimed.
No home but,
Not even an inch,
For soldiers for us slain.
He used, honoured:
They use, spit,
Rage in the dark,
On that phallus
Weeps for their tiny flame.
Vinod Sharma's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
What is being passed off as a memorial for them is actually a British War Memorial, now called India Gate, to honour every single Indian soldier - regimental no. and name engraved in stone - who died fighting for the Empire mainly during the First World War. All we have done for those who laid down their lives for us, is put a rifle upside down, helmet on top, under the arch of this massive Raj memorial, and light a small flame there. This is humiliation.
For years the military has been trying to convince babus and netas to allot land so that our martyrs too can be honoured and remembered in a dignified manner. Files have moved up and down, but the hearts and minds of the new rulers of India remain frozen.
On the day that commemorates the valour and sacrifice of India's young sons in Kargil, I express my angst in verse. (Two poems)
Comments about this poem (No War Memorial. Still. 'Ye Dil Mangey More' - 2 by Vinod Sharma )
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Mistletoe, Walter de la Mare
Poem of the Day
- Wintersummertime, Joseph Archer
- The ComeBack, Asma Riaz Khan
- Dreams, Sergio D'Amico
- Untitled (We Were On A Train), Joseph Archer
- My Sunprincess, Neela Nath
- Colorful Dots-2, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- You, Joseph Archer
- दुखुनि मोदै हुगारनानै, Ronjoy Brahma
- Colorful Dots-1, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Be The Candle, Neela Nath