Never Look Back Now
Look quietly at the journey you have taken
the road was never straight never easy
along the way many travellers returned
and you stood and watched as the fatigue
built up and you were gasping for breath
to take the next step forward to a place
fixed on your mind. But stopped short
because you were not sure the journey
would end at the sunset or you would
see the sunrise again. Stay still as you walk
slowly into that lonely night taking your fears
with you, as you stumble forward again.
Be patient with the cobblestones and dense
traffic whizzing past. Don't feel alone
for in the waiting you may have missed
When you reach the end
Now look back and stare in wonder
at what you have achieved.
You are a star traveller with no ticket
to no particular place. The destination
is always unknown.
Don't we all look back when we should be looking ahead?
A certain poet on this site asked me a question the other day. I gave him the best answer I could. The answer may not have been the best, considering that his own journey had taken him only part way to mine. But age has its advantages. You have to live life to its fullest to know what it has to offer. Guessing is no good. Its the road that we all travel on.
© Marshall Gass. All rights reserved.
Marshall Gass's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Never Look Back Now by Marshall Gass )
- LONE LADY, vidyut chakraborty
- Psalm 070, Forrest Hainline
- What is said in autobiography, gajanan mishra
- The weird erotica, Marcel Aouizerate
- Acting Judge, Tim caffery
- Your lovely smile, Jesus James Llorico
- Past Reloaded, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- The Truest Love., Achill Ladd
- Points made between waves, Mark Heathcote
- ignus fatuus or sketches of my past?, Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)