MY FATHER AND MY FRIEND
My Father and my friend,
I love not to live by pretense,
Nor love I your sacrosanct decrees to bend;
I repent every transgression hence,
And pray that you may your mercies lend.
Feed me my Father and my friend,
And put raiment upon my skin;
Upon my poetry I pray you send
Your benediction and endorsement unseen.
Fine-tune the timbre and pitch of my oration,
My Father and my friend of all creation;
And speak on me the benefits of fame,
And cause my tongue to proclaim thy name.
My Father and my friend unchanging,
Full of love and care unflinching,
Be my comforter in times of cry and sorrow,
And hide from me the uncertainties of tomorrow.
Hear me my Father and my friend,
For I'm candid and dare not pretend!
Hannington Mumo's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (MY FATHER AND MY FRIEND by Hannington Mumo )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(September 16, 1925 – August 22, 2011)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Bright Star, John Keats
Poem of the Day
- Forgiveness, Eugene Latumbo
- Wrapping Paper, Bows, and You, Nika McGuin
- The imperfect world, Cyrus Shaftang
- Marriage, Marlin Nightingale
- Ruins الاطلال, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Your eyes, Leong Ming Loong
- Studentship., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Knowing the Truth, Nika McGuin
- I write, Nassy Fesharaki
- Assuredly بالتأكيد, MOHAMMAD SKATI