Mark Van Doren
I wake and hearing it raining.
Were I dead, what would I give
Lazily to lie here,
Like this, and live?
Or better yet: birdsong,
Brightening and spreading --
How far would I come then
To be at the world's wedding?
Now that I lie, though,
(Oh, but not forever,
Oh, end arriving)
How shall I praise them:
All the sweet beings
Eternally that outlive
Me and my dying?
Mountains, I mean; wind, water, air;
Grass, and huge trees; clouds, flowers,
And thunder, and night.
Turtles, I mean, and toads; hawks, herons, owls;
Graveyards, and towns, and trout; roads, gardens,
Red berries, and deer.
Lightning, I mean, and eagles; fences; snow;
Sunrise, and ferns; waterfalls, serpents,
Green islands, and sleep.
Horses, I mean; butterflies, whales;
Mosses, and stars and gravelly
Rivers, and fruit.
Oceans, I mean; black valleys; corn;
Brambles, and cliffs; rock, dirt, dust, ice;
And warnings of flood.
How shall I name them?
And in what order?
Each would be first.
Omission is murder.
Maidens, I mean, and apples; needles; leaves;
Worms, and planers, and clover; whirlwinds; dew;
Bulls; geese --
Stop. Lie still.
You will never be done.
Leave them all there.
Old lover. Live on.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Morning Worship by Mark Van Doren )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(01 January 1950)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(October 27, 1932 – February 11, 1963)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Nature, natalie dejesus
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Waves Within...., Umasree Raghunath
- Children of Peshawar! My heart bleeds fo.., Umasree Raghunath
- A History Of The Future- What's THAT? ? .., Bri Edwards
- Epistle therefrom Death, Sir Toby Moses
- Being Rich, Randy McClave
- Chief glory, gajanan mishra
- If I Get There, Luis Estable
- That Savor Is So, Luis Estable
- No One KnowsThe Pain I Feel, Luis Estable
- The Kentucky Hangnail, Randy McClave