Mark Van Doren
I wake and hearing it raining.
Were I dead, what would I give
Lazily to lie here,
Like this, and live?
Or better yet: birdsong,
Brightening and spreading --
How far would I come then
To be at the world's wedding?
Now that I lie, though,
(Oh, but not forever,
Oh, end arriving)
How shall I praise them:
All the sweet beings
Eternally that outlive
Me and my dying?
Mountains, I mean; wind, water, air;
Grass, and huge trees; clouds, flowers,
And thunder, and night.
Turtles, I mean, and toads; hawks, herons, owls;
Graveyards, and towns, and trout; roads, gardens,
Red berries, and deer.
Lightning, I mean, and eagles; fences; snow;
Sunrise, and ferns; waterfalls, serpents,
Green islands, and sleep.
Horses, I mean; butterflies, whales;
Mosses, and stars and gravelly
Rivers, and fruit.
Oceans, I mean; black valleys; corn;
Brambles, and cliffs; rock, dirt, dust, ice;
And warnings of flood.
How shall I name them?
And in what order?
Each would be first.
Omission is murder.
Maidens, I mean, and apples; needles; leaves;
Worms, and planers, and clover; whirlwinds; dew;
Bulls; geese --
Stop. Lie still.
You will never be done.
Leave them all there.
Old lover. Live on.
Mark Van Doren's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Morning Worship by Mark Van Doren )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- The Ph.D. Guide & The Girl Scholar (A Lo.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- And Were You Dreaming In The Licorice Ni.., mary douglas
- Por-por Chha Gaya.........., Upendra Singh
- It Is Beautiful To Act Like A Sattagerin.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Minimalism, Adonis Enricuso
- Treasure Box, Adonis Enricuso
- Palestine; We Let You Down, Guess Who
- Por-por Chha Gaya Basant, Upendra Singh
- The love song, binod bastola
- de tijd, ko the skipper