' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ME MAM’S MIND(in memory of my mother Ita)
“If you fall
off that wall
& break both
running to me! ”
Could never understand
my Mam’s mind
& how it
she 'had half a mind
to come up there
&' get me off that wall.
Then she 'was in two minds
about' whether to tell me to stop.
“Go ahead...go ahead
& kill yourself
...see if I care! ”
“I’m warning you child
if you fall off that wall
come up there
& kill ya myself
so I will! ”
I used to watch the words
climbing out of her mouth
& fly around the room
looking for a place to land
in my mind.
whether she gave out.
I just loved
everything she said
the music of her
she made the words
I came down
and kissed her
kissed her worry away.
'I'm sorry Mam'
I told her.
And she cried.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ME MAM’S MIND(in memory of my mother Ita) by Dónall Dempsey )
- Quran, The Ways of Ascent, Mohja Kahf
- 'My Persuasion' Over 'Her Coyness'., Prabhat Priyadarshi
- rain, Erin Daly
- I Hope, Michael McParland
- Holding Fatima in the Light, Mohja Kahf
- Manifesto for the Chaste Wanton, Mohja Kahf
- Doves, Mohja Kahf
- Return of the Friend, Mohja Kahf
- On The Run In The Dream, Albert Martin
- My Grandmother Washes Her Feet in the Si.., Mohja Kahf
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- City That Does Not Sleep, Federico García Lorca
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis
(17 July 1674 – 25 November 1748)
- Laurence Overmire
(24 June 1842 - 26 December 1913)
(10 December 1824 – 18 September 1905)
John Greenleaf Whittier
(17 December 1807 – 7 September 1892)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Lee Masters
(23 August 1868 – 5 March 1950)
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)