Light of Love
How can a man not love you?
Do I ask because I do?
Or is it your steel and innocence,
Wrapped in honey and virtue?
What power has kept you sane and safe
Through agonising denial and pain?
How have broken threads not furrowed
Silken skin under tearing strain?
How do dead eyes light up still
A smile so easily kiss your lips?
How has your much battered soul
Swum unsullied through hardships?
What does still make song and dance
Jingle your two lonely hips?
What makes love and laughter
Glow so through your dark eclipse?
No black hole can capture,
A light that it can't blacken,
Nor Ketu* keep swallowed,
A moon that will not darken.
Milk remains in water pure,
The Swan** divine well knows;
A diamond does not lose it shine,
Buried in blackest coal.
The full moon keeps alive its glow,
Behind a heavy cloud;
Love its light does always show,
However thick the shroud.
I have held the poisoned chalice,
Sipped your nectar oozing through;
So I do and say: he cannot be a man,
He who cannot love you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*The body of the demon that, as per Hindu mythology, swallows the moon. Known as the South Node as per astrology.
** The only creature, as per Hindu mythology, capable of separating milk from water once they have been mixed.
Vinod Sharma's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Light of Love by Vinod Sharma )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- THOUGHT-LIFE (Quatrains), Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Music, Life's Soundtrack (Quatrains), Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Love Note 16, Michael P. McParland
- Change, David Lessard
- ENVY DEFINED, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Oh My Dear, Michael P. McParland
- The actor and the witness, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Possessive of God, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- The forbidden ritual, Mark Heathcote
- WHEN ON ME THEY CANNOT FEED, Cynthia BuhainBaello