Edgar Albert Guest
Life And Hereafter
NOT over there do I await
Reward for patience here below,
Not over there at Heaven's gate
Is all the joy that I shall know;
Not for the joys to be am I
Seeking the better, truer way,
All pleasure's not beyond the sky,
For I have my reward each day.
I hope for Heaven and all it means,
And hope to hear the Master tell,
When I have quit these earthly scenes,
That I have truly toiled and well;
But not alone for that I strive
To keep my soul unspotted here,
Honor has joys for all alive
That are as infinitely dear.
What can the great hereafter give
More precious than my children's love,
When I, on earth, shall cease to live,
And go to join the realms above?
Were there no future, then I say
I still should strive to faithful be,
That they would run at close of day
With loving arms to welcome me.
A baby's kiss, a faithful wife,
And friends who trust, are not these all
Rewards that honor earns in life,
Although your hoard of gold be small?
And though there were no future, would
You still not journey on your way
Striving, as ever, to be good
Just for the joys you know today?
And so I say, not ' over there,'
Do I sit sighing, ' I shall know
The perfect bliss, with ne'er a care '—
The perfect bliss is here below.
Nor do I dream of joys to be,
And wail the cares that now are mine,
Earth's glories now appeal to me,
And this life is almost divine.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Life And Hereafter by Edgar Albert Guest )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- midnight dream, Cee Bea
- know you are there...., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- You Are Your Wish, Gbolagade Taiwo
- a small stop...., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- Id est, Frank Avon
- December 28th: Feast Of The Holy Innocents, Saiom Shriver
- End of the Year, Light Mark
- Let It Be on Monday, God, Donal Mahoney
- Rain, Devin Lasker
- Lyrics Lifted Aloft, Saiom Shriver