Learnt To Be A Man The Hard Way
My birth was a mystery
Mum, was the only one there as I came to this world
My family seems to be complete without you
No one ever talked of your existence
The word 'Dad' did not exist in my vocabulary
I saw mum struggled to meet my needs
But, she never failed
Much later in life, as a stranger you were presented to me as my Dad
Was that real or was I dreaming
Where did you come from?
You were there by obligation, I presume
But, I opened my heart to you
I expected you to meet my wants as a child growing up
You turned me down
It did hurt, but I'm glad you did
Your words was my greatest motivation
'Work hard and you will earn whatever you want in life'
As we were building our relationship, time was up for you
I am glad that our path crossed
You came into my life for a purpose
Your mission was accomplished
Thank you Dad for motivating me to be the person I am today
I love you Dad!
May your soul rest in Peace!
I will forever keep you close in my heart
David Dorby's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Learnt To Be A Man The Hard Way by David Dorby )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- hey dipstick, this is for you, Mandolyn Davidson
- Time - I know not, gajanan mishra
- Poetry is For Lovers, Cheryl Griffith
- The Darkest Side - Darkpalm21, Mark Clement Joseph S. Ferre ..
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -30, Ronjoy Brahma
- this is for you, dipstick, Mandolyn Davidson
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -29, Ronjoy Brahma
- Solitary, Claude H Oliver II
- Resolution?, Claude H Oliver II
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -28, Ronjoy Brahma