James Lionel Michael
BE HIS rest the rest he sought:
Calm and deep.
Let no wayward word or thought
Vex his sleep.
Peace—the peace that no man knows—
Where the wasted woodwind blows,
Wakes and wanes.
Latter leaves, in Autumn’s breath,
White and sere,
Sanctify the scholar’s death,
Soft surprises of the sun—
O’er the mute grave-grasses run,
Cold and green.
Wet and cold the hillwinds moan;
Let them rave!
Love that takes a tender tone
Lights his grave.
He who knew the friendless face
Often sought this quiet place
One, too apt to faint and fail,
Loved to stray
Here where water-shallows wail
Day by day.
Care that lays her heavy hand
On the best,
Bound him with an iron hand;
Let him rest.
Life, that flieth like a tune,
Left his eyes,
As an April afternoon
Leaves the skies.
Peace is best! If life was hard
Peace came next.
Thus the scholar, thus the bard,
Safely housed at last from rack—
Far from pain;
Who would wish to have him back?
Let the forms he loved so well
Shine of hill and shade of dell,
Year by year.
All the wilful waifs that make
Let them sojourn for his sake
Round this place.
Flying splendours, singing streams,
Lutes and lights,
May they be as happy dreams:
Sounds and sights;
So that Time to Love may say,
Sweet is sleep at close of day!
Death is sleep.”
Henry Kendall's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (James Lionel Michael by Henry Kendall )
- Invitation to Ground Zero, William Jay Smith
- Touch not, gajanan mishra
- At Inchon, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Always Yours, Michael McParland
- All rich, gajanan mishra
- ما كان ذنبي, قسطاكي الحمصي
- حديث النفس, قسطاكي الحمصي
- A fox in Leeds with unusual needs., Stephen Katona
- Concepts 27, Somanathan Iyer
- More Time, Babatunde Aremu
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)