The Last of his Tribe
He crouches, and buries his face on his knees,
And hides in the dark of his hair;
For he cannot look up to the storm-smitten trees,
Or think of the loneliness there -
Of the loss and the loneliness there.
The wallaroos grope through the tufts of the grass,
And turn to their coverts for fear;
But he sits in the ashes and lets them pass
Where the boomerangs sleep with the spear -
With the nullah, the sling and the spear.
Uloola, behold him! The thunder that breaks
On the tops of the rocks with the rain,
And the wind which drives up with the salt of the lakes,
Have made him a hunter again -
A hunter and fisher again.
For his eyes have been full with a smouldering thought;
But he dreams of the hunts of yore,
And of foes that he sought, and of fights that he fought
With those who will battle no more -
Who will go to the battle no more.
It is well that the water which tumbles and fills
Goes moaning and moaning along;
For an echo rolls out from the sides of the hills,
And he starts at a wonderful song -
At the sound of a wonderful song.
And he sees through the rents of the scattering fogs
The corroboree warlike and grim,
And the lubra who sat by the fire on the logs,
To watch, like a mourner, for him -
Like a mother and mourner for him.
Will he go in his sleep from these desolate lands,
Like a chief, to the rest of his race,
With the honey-voiced woman who beckons and stands,
And gleams like a dream in his face -
Like a marvellous dream in his face?
Henry Kendall's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Last of his Tribe by Henry Kendall )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Anchor Your Stained Glass Shadows In The.., mary douglas
- Over a bug;, george albot
- On Her Wintry Planet, At The Close Of Day, mary douglas
- Losing The Blue Madonna To The Skies, mary douglas
- WHO IS THIS BEAST YOUR RIDING >>&g.., sEaN nOrTh
- The Incredible Pink Playhouse, mary douglas
- Let Us Return To The Country Of Clouds, mary douglas
- I Dreamed Of A Language, mary douglas
- Snow Globe Vision Of La Belle Et La Bete, mary douglas
- Flower in snow, ramesh rai