Note: As I sat on a bench in Cork and watched the children play
I wrote this thought down and built the poem from it afterwards.
“If only their energy could be harnessed
that herd of wild children”
And there it is, innocence
alive among the climbing bars
swinging loose from the swings
and climbing those mighty ladders.
Sliding down the slides
Into the landscape of a new world.
Just beyond the sandbox
lies the wilderness of youth
where adults only gaze upon
and never dare to wander.
As you watch on you realize
that you miss that pure elation
of sliding down
into your next dream
your next adventure.
Climbing to the stars
or the top of your own personal castle
where you have been declared king
and all below must fall before you.
And it’s there in the wailing of the child
its deranged song
a hymn against time
that white noise chorus.
Nothing can keep them from their goal
no scraped knees nor bloody nose
as they tumble and leap
and know no pain or evil
I look upon them
with more than a small amount of jealousy
that ignorant innocence
and nothing to hold them back.
Clifton Redmond's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Innocence by Clifton Redmond )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Take it all it's entirely all for you baby, Mark Heathcote
- Confused Sea Gods, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken
- A Cookie Jar, Heather Burns
- Anger, Steve Gregory
- THERE MUST BE A CURFEW ON ALL CATS GLOBAL, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Coincidence is hope for a non-believer, Jorge Rolon
- Love's Expression Escorting Me Into a Nu.., wanderer sailor
- Receding From Depleting Beliefs, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- AM 8/24, Jorge Rolon
- My EX Wants You, wanderer sailor