Note: As I sat on a bench in Cork and watched the children play
I wrote this thought down and built the poem from it afterwards.
“If only their energy could be harnessed
that herd of wild children”
And there it is, innocence
alive among the climbing bars
swinging loose from the swings
and climbing those mighty ladders.
Sliding down the slides
Into the landscape of a new world.
Just beyond the sandbox
lies the wilderness of youth
where adults only gaze upon
and never dare to wander.
As you watch on you realize
that you miss that pure elation
of sliding down
into your next dream
your next adventure.
Climbing to the stars
or the top of your own personal castle
where you have been declared king
and all below must fall before you.
And it’s there in the wailing of the child
its deranged song
a hymn against time
that white noise chorus.
Nothing can keep them from their goal
no scraped knees nor bloody nose
as they tumble and leap
and know no pain or evil
I look upon them
with more than a small amount of jealousy
that ignorant innocence
and nothing to hold them back.
Clifton Redmond's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Innocence by Clifton Redmond )
- Feminine Beauty, chanchal gupta
- Alone again, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- [Challenge] Entrees for September (Disqu.., Brian Johnston
- Indulgences, Jayatissa Liyanage
- From The Balcony, Heather Burns
- Ang undubai, Shri R Brahma
- 10 January 2014, Shri R Brahma
- October is next to September تشرين الاول.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- October is next to September, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- I feel bored, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns