If you break a true believer's heart once
If you break a true believer's heart once,
It's no prayer to God-this obeisance,
All of the world's seventy-two nations
Cannot wash the dirt off your hands and face.
There are the sages-they have come and gone.
Leaving their world behind them, they moved on.
They flapped their wings and flew to the True One,
Not like geese, but as birds of Paradise.
The true road doesn't ever run awry,
The real hero scoffs at clambering high,
The eye that can see God is the true eye,
Not the eye that stares from a lofty place.
If you followed the never-swerving road,
If you held a hero's hand as he strode,
If doing good deeds was your moral code,
You shall get a thousand to one, no less.
These are the moving facts that Yunus tells,
Where his blend of butter and honey jells,
Not salt, but jewelry is what he sells
These goods he hands out to the populace.
Yunus Emre's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (If you break a true believer's heart once by Yunus Emre )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- THE PRETTY SEA AND THE HARD ROCKS, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Venereus, Bruce Hayno
- without tears, RIC S. BASTASA
- When You Speak to Your God, Robert Kane
- Maiden Of Ekwensu, Chibueze Oscar Osuji
- Whom to, gajanan mishra
- Holy place, hasmukh amathalal
- y0ur gR0uNd uP wAtEr makEs the wind so c.., sEaN nOrTh
- The friends, hasmukh amathalal
- Haa maine mela dekha hai, Ajeet Singh Dhruv