I Want To Change The World!
Everyone who wants to change the world has already done it,
just by wanting to, because that's the first step we must make
on our journey to joy, and without that first step, what next?
But once that first step has been taken, the second soon follows,
for the body's balance has changed, it's still leaning forward,
it's still in motion, with the body obedient to the mind,
with all the evidence of the heart's desire to complete its quest!
Yes, there will be setbacks and maybe we'll crawl along,
when once we were strong and so full of hope for Mankind,
but the years take their toll, so we must prepare ourselves,
make ourselves ready, even for this, even if we must crawl...
No need to be ashamed of crawling along if helping others,
so why foster any doubts at this stage, when things look bad?
Many a hero has humbled himself to rescue another soul,
forcing himself beyond his doubts and fears, towards victory,
valiant in spite of all to the contrary, steadfast, determined,
yet what better way to change the world than by love?
I can't think of any better way than by love... can you?
Denis Martindale, copyright, November 2013.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Want To Change The World! by Denis Martindale )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- Dream Variations, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Captured By Music, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Remembering Beauty Of Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Feeling Loneliness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I Don't Know Who You Are, Vera Sidhwa
- Poet's Space, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Flower Puff was Given To Me, Vera Sidhwa
- Thank You Darling, Michael P. McParland
- All Through The Night, Lora Colon
- How people Behave, Angell Afinowi
- Of Course it Was a Perfect Day, Ernest Lowe