I Have Been Here Before
Have you ever gone somewhere
you had never been before,
then stopped and around
thinking I have been here before,
but you cannot remember when.
You think you are going crazy
when you recognize things
and mutter about people who used to live there
a long, long time ago before you were born,
but how could you know all this?
Did you read it in a book somewhere?
It could well be a past life
has edged its way through to you.
The more and more things become apparent
as you go on your way and it keeps you wondering
whose memories you’ve tapped into.
The questions keep on coming
with no answers to quell them.
You close your eyes
and try to think of something new,
but all you keep remembering
is this past life you went through.
We all experience this once in a while
with no explanation as to why.
Best let it finish its course,
and then you can get back to what you want to do,
all the time in the knowledge
that you’ve been here before.
David Harris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I Have Been Here Before by David Harris )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(2 July 1923 – 1 February 2012)
Winifred Emma May
(1907 - 1990)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Fairytale, Apolynn Lagaras
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Christmas - Christmas, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Cage, Sarvesh wahie
- You Keep The Sea, Naveed Akram
- There's nothing like dance, Yisel Chong
- No One Could Ever Understand, Thabang Rakimane
- You made me evil, Yisel Chong
- The time machine, Yisel Chong
- Blue-eyed boy Mr. Death for e.e. cummings, r james sterzinger
- Salvation Jane, vince gullaci
- A Girl Called Memory, Mashewa1 Nthele