I Do Not Speak
I do not ask for mercy for understanding for peace
And in these heavy days I do not ask for release
I do not ask that suffering shall cease.
I do not pray to God to let me die
To give an ear attentive to my cry
To pause in his marching and not hurry by.
I do not ask for anything I do not speak
I do not question and I do not seek
I used to in the day when I was weak.
Now I am strong and lapped in sorrow
As in a coat of magic mail and borrow
From Time today and care not for tomorrow.
Stevie Smith's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Do Not Speak by Stevie Smith )
- समनि बान्दो, Ronjoy Brahma
- Last Visit To My Friend, Joyce wolayo
- MEP interrogation, Over The Moon
- Whole, Abyssinian Queen
- मेगनआव, Ronjoy Brahma
- ‘Tis permitted Us Nay, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Dilapidated house, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The violin plays, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The palaces of the skies, Emmanuel George Cefai
- There was a buzz at night, Emmanuel George Cefai
Poem of the Day
Robert Laurence Binyon
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Hans Christian Andersen
(2 April 1805 – 4 August 1875)
(21 May 1855 – 27 November 1916)