I Am The Mojave
I am the white quartz,
That sparkles so.
I am the Desert Willow.
I am the Santanas,
That burning blow.
I am the night eyes burning yellow.
Yellow, I am the creosote,
Covering the land.
I am the washes and the hills.
I am the golden grains of sand,
I am the cure, for all your ills.
I am great mountains,
Topped with snow.
I am the clear blue sky.
I am the friend you long to know,
I am the Ravens flying high.
High, I am the stars that shine,
The clear night air,
For endless miles.
I am the cool welcoming night,
Following the heat,
And noon day trials.
I am Coyotes I am the rattlesnakes,
I am Jackrabbits running free.
I am the land that takes, and takes,
I am the Desert, a vast dry sea.
I am called Mojave,
Yet what is in a name.
Some claim I am Paradise,
I am the Bronc, you will never tame,
Inside me you will find no lies.
I am abundant life, but also death,
Depending on your unique vision.
I'll take your soul, likewise your breath,
I'll drive you to the edge,
I can be your mortal enemy,
But much prefer,
That I should be your friend.
Many before have felt my lure,
I am the Mojave, I have no end.
9/5/13 Alton Texas.
Juan Olivarez's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I Am The Mojave by Juan Olivarez )
- This unknown world, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Grace, Scott J. Shepard
- My chidhood poem collection -2, soulful heart
- Pleasant Weather, Royal Flower
- Friend-Zoned, Foster Teegarden
- My chidhood poem collection -1, soulful heart
- Switch Your Words, inas essa
- All opposites are ours, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- A Change of Thought, Scott J. Shepard
- Will They Never Know The Looking Glass W.., mary douglas
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)