Fyodor Ivanovich Tyutchev (5 December 1803 – 27 July 1873 / Ovstug)
How Tuneful Is The Voice Of Sea
How tuneful is the voice of sea,
What true accord in ocean's murmur,
And in the reed's light, rhythmic tremour
What tender musicality!
In nature all is harmony,
A consonance fore'er agreed on,
And 'tis alone our phantom freedom
That is disturbingly off-key.
Whence comes this breach? How to explain
Why with the sea its song sonorous
The soul declines to sing in chorus?
Why does the thinking reed complain?
Fyodor Ivanovich Tyutchev's Other Poems
- A Vision
- All Day She Quiet Lay
- As In The Globe Embraced By Ocean
- Autumn Evening
- Don't say he loves me as before...
- Elysium Of Shades
- Gum Is The Sky
- Here, At A Meagre Earth
- How Tuneful Is The Voice Of Sea
- I Love The Tsarskoselsky Gardens
- In ocean waves there's melody...
- It's There, Still There
- Just as the ocean cradles our earth's or...
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.