HOW DOES IT FEEL?
The last thing they need
is to feel mistreated like animals
in a stampede.
Feeling like elephants with shackles
by their feet
Once you are out of your ankle restraints
you still feel like an elephant walking
or Jesus walking who was a Saint.
One inmate said
“How are we really going to do harm? ”
Camera’s and bars all around and alarms.”
Is this punishment outdated from time past?
Maybe separate killers from people not violent
who need another chance?
Hardened criminals should were metal restraints
but first offense or non violent inmates?
This punishment happens right
before they see the judge, they don’t do it after-
“Do they think people really want to run?
Inmates are hoping they can get out
that is why they are praying without a doubt.
Now sheriffs should walk the halls in inmate’s shoes
Have empathy—do you feel like an animal too?
Written by Suzanna Chevalier on March 25,2013
Suzanna Chevalier's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (HOW DOES IT FEEL? by Suzanna Chevalier )
- THEY GOT TIRED لقد تعبوا, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The first time, Cigeng Zhang
- THEY GOT TIRED, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- MY WAYطريقي, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Genes, jeans!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Ticking Over, Yvonne Rautenbach
- In A Confused World, Edward Kofi Louis
- MY WAY, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- You need someone, hasmukh amathalal
- Organized team, hasmukh amathalal