HOW DOES IT FEEL?
The last thing they need
is to feel mistreated like animals
in a stampede.
Feeling like elephants with shackles
by their feet
Once you are out of your ankle restraints
you still feel like an elephant walking
or Jesus walking who was a Saint.
One inmate said
“How are we really going to do harm? ”
Camera’s and bars all around and alarms.”
Is this punishment outdated from time past?
Maybe separate killers from people not violent
who need another chance?
Hardened criminals should were metal restraints
but first offense or non violent inmates?
This punishment happens right
before they see the judge, they don’t do it after-
“Do they think people really want to run?
Inmates are hoping they can get out
that is why they are praying without a doubt.
Now sheriffs should walk the halls in inmate’s shoes
Have empathy—do you feel like an animal too?
Written by Suzanna Chevalier on March 25,2013
Suzanna Chevalier's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (HOW DOES IT FEEL? by Suzanna Chevalier )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Opposite People, Tony Adah
- The Exception Perception Has, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- You Know, Whats-his-name, Lawrence Beck
- Isis: Syria and Iraq, do something!, Rachel Nichols
- THE POOR PEOPLE AND THEIR POVERTY الفقرا.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- I PROMISE, Poet Akinwemimo Idris
- The Spyders, David Lewis Paget
- Monsoon., David Lessard
- Unprepared, Disrespectful 'and' Undiscip.., Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Summer Nights, Maya Hanson (mye3 poet)