HOW DOES IT FEEL?
The last thing they need
is to feel mistreated like animals
in a stampede.
Feeling like elephants with shackles
by their feet
Once you are out of your ankle restraints
you still feel like an elephant walking
or Jesus walking who was a Saint.
One inmate said
“How are we really going to do harm? ”
Camera’s and bars all around and alarms.”
Is this punishment outdated from time past?
Maybe separate killers from people not violent
who need another chance?
Hardened criminals should were metal restraints
but first offense or non violent inmates?
This punishment happens right
before they see the judge, they don’t do it after-
“Do they think people really want to run?
Inmates are hoping they can get out
that is why they are praying without a doubt.
Now sheriffs should walk the halls in inmate’s shoes
Have empathy—do you feel like an animal too?
Written by Suzanna Chevalier on March 25,2013
Suzanna Chevalier's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (HOW DOES IT FEEL? by Suzanna Chevalier )
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(22 October 1928 -)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Poetry of Mathematics, Shahrokh Sharifrazy
- Ajab Makaan Hai Ke Jis Mein Makeenn Nahe.., Parveen Shakir
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Backdoor Sex, Luis Estable
- Try To Call Me, Edward Kofi Louis
- Fishing Hole, Ima Ryma
- Whole, hole!, Edward Kofi Louis
- No Way For Her, Luis Estable
- Slowly Does It, Luis Estable
- The Dance, Ronald Stuart Thomas
- "க்ரிஸ்து" என்ற ஒரு ஜோதி!, Subbaraman N V
- PIOUS WELCOME TO TWENTY FIFTEEN*, Subbaraman N V
- Pschology 101 (I), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR