What does the horse give you
That I cannot give you?
I watch you when you are alone,
When you ride into the field behind the dairy,
Your hands buried in the mare's
Then I know what lies behind your silence:
Scorn, hatred of me, of marriage. Still,
You want me to touch you; you cry out
As brides cry, but when I look at you I see
There are no children in your body.
Then what is there?
Nothing, I think. Only haste
To die before I die.
In a dream, I watched you ride the horse
Over the dry fields and then
Dismount: you two walked together;
In the dark, you had no shadows.
But I felt them coming toward me
Since at night they go anywhere,
They are their own masters.
Look at me. You think I don't understand?
What is the animal
If not passage out of this life?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Horse by Louise Gluck )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- The Silent Rebel (baby!), Fie KroC
- The Book Tree Forest, mary douglas
- My Grandfather in Broadmoor, Little Rock.., mary douglas
- We are ALL Broken, with a Capital F, Monk E. Biz
- 'The Fallen Angel', Wolfie Scott
- Impressions of Garcia-Lorca on the Piano.., mary douglas
- PATIENCE, Stanley Oguh
- Last Words of A Dying Poet, Monica Lanier
- Wabi Sabi, wabi sabi
- Papier Mache, How Lovely Was the World, mary douglas