How can you say
earth should give me joy? Each thing
born is my burden; I cannot succeed
with all of you.
And you would like to dictate to me,
you would like to tell me
who among you is most valuable,
who most resembles me.
And you hold up as an example
the pure life, the detachment
you struggle to acheive--
How can you understand me
when you cannot understand yourselves?
Your memory is not
powerful enough, it will not
reach back far enough--
Never forget you are my children.
You are not suffering because you touched each other
but because you were born,
because you required life
separate from me.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Early Darkness by Louise Gluck )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- Brooding, Michael McParland
- In The Bliss..., John Ugolo Umah
- Breathing Space, Michael McParland
- Breaking Free, Michael McParland
- Brand New Start, Michael McParland
- Another One, John Ugolo Umah
- Blackness, Michael McParland
- Better, Michael McParland
- God is so much greater than circumstances!, Shaila Touchton
- Blowing Time, John Ugolo Umah