Braying are we.
Praying are they
For want of rain, found a way.
We feel honoured to get wedded.
Hence cornered and here seated.
A perfect ritual with right wedding attire
Arranged exclusively for their rain desire.
Clad in silk saree and dothi
Glad with flower garlands are we.
Our long ears tied with flower drops,
Sindhoor and holy ash adorning our foreheads,
A traditional music band in high spirits,
With hundreds of guests in high cheers,
The priest conducting with customary incantion,
The holy knot is tied in ovation.
Blessed are we.Cursed is the drought.
Wedding for the rains to be brought.
Untied now are our hind legs.
Happily kicking we run wagging our tails.
Any more donkey wedding? We're your hopes.
Indira Renganathan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hopes by Indira Renganathan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- Ghazal, Mirza Ghalib
- Within the Circuit of This Plodding Life, Henry David Thoreau
- Summer in Calcutta, Kamala Das
- A.Pushkin, Anchar - translation (rus.), Lyudmila Purgina
Poem of the Day
- The PH Forum Ru-Ku Trifecta..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- You Never Know, Ifthekar Ifthi
- The Real Fruit, Nash Thomas
- Promise And Possibility, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Poem N10, Kristian Djordjanov
- Poem N9, Kristian Djordjanov
- Misunderstood, LLDr. Gyd
- Poem N8, Kristian Djordjanov
- Poem N7, Kristian Djordjanov
- Twilight of Love, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan