Norah M. Holland
Home Thoughts from Abroad
April in England–daffodils are growing
By every wayside, golden, tall and fair;
April–and all the little winds are blowing
The scents of springtime through the sunny air.
April in England–God, that we were there!
April in England–and her sons are lying
On these red fields, and dreaming of her shore;
April–we hear the thrushes' songs replying
Each unto each, above the cannons' roar;
April in England–shall we see it more?
April in England–there's the cuckoo calling
Down in her meadows where the cowslip gleams;
April–and little showers are softly falling,
Dimpling the surface of her babbling streams;
April in England–how the shrapnel screams!
April in England–blood and dust and smother,
Screaming of horses, men in agony.
April–full many of thy sons, O Mother,
Never again those dewy dawns shall see.
April in England–God, keep England free!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Home Thoughts from Abroad by Norah M. Holland )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(August 8, 1884 – January 29, 1933)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Human Family, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- Thy melody is lost, ramesh rai
- Under The Raging Water, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Daughter of Eve, ramesh rai
- Schmacebook, Esther Moe
- Excuses, Michelle Dragonfly
- They Say, Michelle Dragonfly
- someone asked me why i have so many jars.., Mandolyn ...
- Not A Fairytale, Apolynn Lagaras
- let's worship nothing, forever, Mandolyn ...
- Keep Patience and Stand, Kumarmani Mahakul